A gastronomic treat!
We have been checking out all the local restaurants and mountain cabins in search of the best this area has to offer. Here is our lo-down on the best mountain cabins and restaurants.
When ski-ing for the week.
1. Le Caboulis – sitting on the right hand side of the piste just before you get down to the Veysonnaz lift station. Your drinks can even come by cable car to your table. The menu is small but beautifully traditional. Does not take bookings. Open in the summer as well.
2. Les Chottes – big cow shed in the middle of the slope on the way from Thyon to Siviez. Its traditional food with a twist. We highly recommend the Salade du Chef or Salad du Chottes – yes a salad! Open in the summer as well – an hours walk from Thyon.
3. Theytaz 2 (name tbc) – This is a relatively new restaurant. A converted cow shed. The mountain soup is served inside a round loaf of bread – delicious.
4. Chez Dany – (00 41 27 771 2524). On a big ski day over to Verbier – lunch at Chez Dany before heading back – perfect. But book ahead unless you get there for 12 on the dot.
5. Resto du Novelly – a cool collection of mountain huts with a cafe del mar vibe (outdoor eating only) – its hidden between two pistes just before arriving in Siviez from Combatseline. No need to book.
6. Remointze – a panoramic restaurant with an extensive menu, perched on a ridge on the left side of the piste down to Veysonnaz. Open in the summer as well.
7. La Vache – cosy restaurant at the top of the Les Attelas chairlift opened last winter by three celebrity Verbier fans – James Blunt, Lawrence Dallaglio and Carl Fogarty. Book ahead
8. Cabane Tortin (00 41 79 790 66 22) – gloriously isolated and blissfully tranquil mountain hut beside the Glacier de Tortin at 3033m. Accessible only by experts, or on snowshoes (up from Col des Gentianes). Cosy (wood stove), basic (no running water); mountain fare. Never crowded, just show up.
9. La Creperie – Just down on the right after the T bar lift that goes up the mountain (the T bar on the right side of the gondola up from Veysonnaz as you look up the mountain). Good afternoon drink and crepes stop before heading home.
10. Cabane de Matze (on the left side of the piste down to Les Collons – it’s hard to find – stay left as you go past the ugly Thyon apartments)